Overland-Tandberg announces NEOxl 40 tape product
SAN JOSE, California, April 11, 2018 - Overland-Tandberg™, a brand of Sphere 3D Corp. and a leading provider of data management, backup and storage solutions, today announced the availability of its NEOxl 40 tape automation library, which meets the form factor requirements for smaller video production facilities, while providing increased capacity, performance and the ability to grow at scale. Overland-Tandberg’s NEOxl 40 integrates with the high-capacity, flexible, archive product - NEO Agility LTFS solution and simplifies the digital media archive workflow at a fraction of the cost of traditional disk storage solutions.
According to a May 2017 survey and report from Forbes magazine and Coughlin Associates, most digital media production customers are experiencing rapid growth in the need to store their digital media content, adding over 1,000 hours a year to their video archives. The report also highlights that over the last 5 years there’s been an 8x increase in the amount of content being generated per every 2-hour cinematic piece. As an example, the Avatar Motion Picture used 1PB of storage, with average film archives requiring at least 250TB of storage.
The NEOxl 40 satisfies the demand for cost effective long-term archive storage, at a cost of < $.01/GB. This represents over 80% savings compared to disk-based and cloud-based archive solutions. The solution also scales in both capacity and performance to accommodate rapidly changing data archive needs. Also, when used with the Overland-Tandberg NEO Agility LTFS solution, NEOxl 40 provides media & entertainment users with easy, high-speed access of up to nearly 1PB of content.
- Mike Winkelmann, Owner, CineSys-Oceana
Overland-Tandberg’s NEO XL-Series is the perfect solution to support the specialized and integrated workflow requirements for our media and entertainment customers. The Overland-Tandberg solution is easy-to-use and affordable and can quite readily handle massive amounts of video content associated with long-term archive with the speed and reliability we need to run our organization efficiently.
Advantages and benefits of the NEOxl 40 solution include:
- Meets the high capacity storage and performance requirements of media and entertainment
- Transfers data at up to 8.1TB/hr. per module
- Stores up to 960TB in a base module and up to 1.2PB in each expansion module
- Available with LTO7 & LTO8; Supports LTO-7 Type M media
- Delivers high data availability, with four orders of magnitude higher reliability than disk drive solutions
- Easy to use and Disk-like data access when integrated with NEO Agility LTFS
- Optimized for production facilities with less floor space available. Small form factor only occupies just 3u of rack space
- Remote web interface allows for effortless setup, configuration and management; intuitive touch screen operation
- Compatible with 3rd party ISV, encryption and key management applications
- Peri Grover, Sr. Director, NEO Tape Product Line
As an innovator in scalable tape-based storage technologies, Overland-Tandberg has a long history of helping customers solve complex data storage challenges with easy to use, cost-effective solutions. With the addition of NEOxl 40 to our data storage portfolio, we can address the needs of smaller, more budget sensitive data centers by providing them with a flexible archive solution that reduces their overall cost of ownership.
NEO XL40 is now available for order through authorized Overland-Tandberg distributors. Please contact us for more details, or to purchase.
Source: Press Release